General Post Operative Instructions
The following information is prescription information and general recommendations after having a surgical procedure with South Jersey Dental Implants & Periodontics. Every case is different , and Dr. Shah will go over your specific recommendations at your appointment.
- No BITING or CHEWING in the area of the surgery until cleared to do so by Dr. Shah.
- Biting in the area can cause infection and failure of the procedure.
- No SMOKING or ALCOHOL for at least 2 weeks.
- Both smoking and alcohol delay the healing process and predisposes you to infection, which can result in failure of the procedure.
- The longer you go without smoking, the better chances of ideal healing.
- Apply ice pack to outside of face, 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off for 24 hours.
- This reduces swelling and discomfort
- DO NOT BRUSH near the surgical area until cleared to do so by Dr. Shah.
- Brushing can inadvertendy bump the surgical site and disrupt the healing. Brush and floss everywhere else as normal.
- DO NOT WEAR any temporary teeth / flipper / partial denture while eating until cleared to do so by Dr. Shah. They are for esthetics only.
- Avoid using a straw for 48 hours.
- No strenous activity for the next 48 hours.
- Elevate your head when you sleep for the next 48 hours.
The Healing Process
- Slight bleeding after surgery is normal for the first 24 hours.
- If bleeding persists, it may be controlled by applying firm pressure on a moist piece of gauze for 30 minutes without looking to see if it has stopped bleeding. Repeat as necessary.
- Avoid spitting and heavy rinsing mouth, as this will aggravate the site and increase bleeding.
- Swelling and discomfort normally peaks at 2-3 days post surgery .
- As the gums begin to heal, sutures may loosen and/or start to come out. All remaining sutures will be removed at your follow-up visit.
- If you develop symptoms such as soreness, pus, a ‘bubble,’ or bad taste from the area after the first 2 weeks of healing, call our office to schedule an appointment for a follow-up.
Eating / Diet
- Eat only soft, nutritious food during the healing process
- Fork soft food- eggs, oatmeal, pasta, soft ground meat, mashed potatoes, ice cream, yogurt
- No sandwiches, potato chips, large pieces of meats
- Chew on the opposite side
- Take medication with food to reduce nausea
- Yogurt and/or probiotic pill in the morning with help avoid nausea.
- Ibuprofen 600mg: every 4-6 hours for the first 3-4 days, then as needed
- Supplement with Tylenol 500mg as needed.
- Vicodin (Lortab) or Percocet: as needed, but at night for sound sleep ( NO DRIVING )
- Tylenol 3 (w/ codeine): every 4-6 hours as needed for pain.
- Clindamycin 300mg OR Amoxicillin: 3 times/day (morning, midday & night) for 7 days
Antibacterial Mouth Rinse
- Peridex Mouth Rinse: 2 gentle rinses (morning & night) for 14 days
- Medrol Dose Pack: 6 tabs at once day one, 5 tabs spread out day two, 4 tabs spread out day three, 3 tabs spread out day four, 2 tabs spread out day five, 1 tab day six